[Design-team] F15 wallpaper 0-day update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed May 18 15:57:31 UTC 2011

(Again, sorry for the out-of-thread replies, hopefully Gmane will fix things so
I can reply through the NNTP interface and get things threaded properly.)

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> I feel as if there's a lot more respect here for process than the
> outcome of the process. In the end how much does it matter that reviews
> show a different wallpaper? Are reviewers more important than Fedora
> users?

Screenshots in reviews are the first thing users see of Fedora. The GA
wallpaper is also what users see when they run the live image, install from it
and then boot it. They are going to be really surprised when the wallpaper
changes on them after they update the first time, and there WILL be complaints
about it no matter how much better the changed theme is. (People have different
tastes, even the ugliest things are considered "beautiful" by some people. And
for that matter, I don't consider the GA wallpaper to be ugly at all.)

In addition, your proposed theme changes break Jaroslav's KDM and KSplash
theme designs.

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 16:39 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> (FWIW, I'm also technically a Design Team member, though I haven't
>> actively worked on anything design/artwork-related for several Fedora
>> releases now, Jaroslav was the one doing the recent KDM and KSplash
>> themes.)
>
> So many people are so quick to declare themselves a 'Fedora Design Team
> member.'
>
> But when things need to get done, and deadlines need to be met, somehow
> folks are not so quick to stand up.
>
> If you haven't participated in a single team meeting or not worked on
> anything design/artwork-related for several Fedora releases, I think you
> can safely consider yourself not a design team member.

That's why I wrote "technically". Let's be clear: I'm only speaking as a KDE
SIG member, not as a design team member.

On the other hand, Jaroslav has been designing the KDM and KSplash themes for
all recent releases. And Martin Sourada and María Leandro (tatica) are
definitely design team members.

        Kevin Kofler