[Design-team] F15 wallpaper 0-day update

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 18 16:04:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 17:57 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Screenshots in reviews are the first thing users see of Fedora. The GA
> wallpaper is also what users see when they run the live image, install from it
> and then boot it. They are going to be really surprised when the wallpaper
> changes on them after they update the first time, and there WILL be complaints
> about it no matter how much better the changed theme is. (People have different
> tastes, even the ugliest things are considered "beautiful" by some people. And
> for that matter, I don't consider the GA wallpaper to be ugly at all.)

Emerson said 'A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds[.]'

I'm not sure that consistency is more important.

> In addition, your proposed theme changes break Jaroslav's KDM and KSplash
> theme designs.

I already volunteered to recreate them but there's no hope of changing
the wallpaper now, so nevermind.

> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 16:39 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > If you haven't participated in a single team meeting or not worked on
> > anything design/artwork-related for several Fedora releases, I think you
> > can safely consider yourself not a design team member.
>
> That's why I wrote "technically".

I think we could have all done without that little quip. I feel it's
very disrespectful to the handful who are actually carrying the load,
including Tatica, Martin, and Jaroslav.