[Design-team] F15 wallpaper 0-day update

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 18 16:10:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 18:05 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Come to think of it, I'm not sure how many people knew you were simply
> away and not MIA, but I recall at least blog post about your wedding
> and Tatica mentioning your honeymoon. Seeing back on what was (not)
> being done during that time, it would be perhaps a good idea to have a
> vice-leader (or backup-leader ;-)) who could help managing things (like
> IRC meetings, "bugging" people about deadlines, ...) in your absence.

You can see in the Mar 1 design team meeting log that I made it clear I
wasn't going to be around for a while and attempted to arrange some
backup, but almost no one showed up to the meeting.

> People who know you well enough probably wouldn't interpret it the "bad
> way", but from an outsider point of view it certainly looks different
> than intended.

This team is what matters, I really don't care what outsiders think.

> Well, I'd say, for me they're both equally important. We are promoting
> doing design the opensource way, so the process should be very
> important to us.

A key feature of any process though it that it actually WORKS. If it
relies on people stepping up to help each other and they are not, the
process is not working. Release after release after release it is the
same story, and quite frankly I am tired of it.

> Erm, I don't want to start the branding flame again... So I try to be
> quick: the users look at the reviews, see the wallpaper, then install,
> update and see something *completely* different. Would they feel happy?
> Or sad? Or confused? Or deceived? I don't know, but one should always
> have in mind the worst case scenario before making big decisions.

A little bit of confusion over consistency is really minor compared to
shipping a wallpaper that isn't finished.