[Design-team] Sparkleshare set up for design team files!

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 20 20:53:09 UTC 2011

Hi team,

I've been spending some time this week working on our collaboration
tools to see if we can't make it a lot easier to work together on
designs.

As mentioned earlier, we have a test imageboard up at
http://publictest04.fedoraproject.org/artboard which is I think a good
place to put work up to get feedback on, and to help other folks with
their work by providing comments on it.

I spent some time yesterday and trying to set up Sparkleshare with our
fedorahosted repo. In the past, this did not work because fedorahosted
was running a version of git that was too old to work with Sparkleshare.
But our git was updated recently, so it now works. With Alex Hudson and
Hylke's help we have new packages of Sparkleshare available for Fedora
13, Fedora 14, and Fedora 15 - based on my quick survey it seems like
this will accommodate everyone that responded.

I'm in the process of copying all of our shared files from
fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam over into the Sparkleshare repo. Once
that's finished, I think it would make sense to remove the files from
our groups directory, and find another use for it. I will reply to this
message once all of our files are available in the Sparkleshare repo.

If you'd like to try out Sparkleshare yourself then, I've put together a
HOWTO on it. Please let me know if you run into any trouble with the
instructions - they *should* work on F13+ but I haven't tested it on all
the different versions:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_connect_to_the_design_team_sparkleshare

If you are asking yourself, 'what is Sparkleshare? huh?' the short
answer is that it is a free and open source alternative to Dropbox that
makes it so you'll have a special folder on your computer, and anything
you copy to that folder, everyone on the design team who has it set up
will be able to see. This should make it easier for us to share our
work, especially source files since they are a pain to upload and we
sometimes forget. Now we won't have to remember - as long as you keep
them in the design team folder, we'll all have access.

Also, could I ask a big favor? If you have design-team related files in
your fedorapeople.org directory, would you mind copying them over to the
Sparkleshare design team folder? That way we'll all have easier access.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,