[Design-team] Sparkleshare set up for design team files!

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:36:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 10:17:56 -0400
Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Sorry for breaking the thread; I'm not getting any more mails from
> this mailing list for some odd reason.
>
> > So, I tried installing it on XFCE. Apparently it should work without
> > nautilus. However I have trouble making it work:
> >
> > [14:32:01][Cmd] /usr/bin/git clone \
> > "ssh://git@git.fedorahosted.org/git/design-team.git" \
> > "/home/mso1/SparkleShare/.tmp/design-team" \
> > Permission denied (publickey).
> >
> > > As you see it insists on using "git" user name. I need "mso" for
> > > it to work :-(
>
> 1) This error has absolutely nothing to do with XFCE vs GNOME vs
> KDE.

I switched to "testing sparkleshare" mode. It's an error from
sparkleshare (as printed on terminal) after I followed the instructions
on wiki, I'm not making any assumptions here WRT used DE.

> 2) You can simply put your username @ in the field for the repo
> location. So you can do mso at foobar.baz/qux.git and it will use the
> 'mso' username. You can also go into the .git/config directory of the
> repo and change it there.

I can if I work with git directly (and I do so already for e.g. the
backgrounds, echo-icon-theme, fedora packaging, ...), but I don't know,
how to do that with SparkleShare.

> > Even if that worked, I'd still not have enough space where it
> > tries to copy the repo. I need to tell it to clone to different
> > place. How?
> >

> Do you just want the backgrounds? I am very happy to set up a
> separate repo (maybe 'fedora-backgrounds' ?) for them if as
> maintainer you are okay with that.

That's a separate problem from what I've been discussing in this mail,
sorry for the little mix-up. So to better explain the two
separate problems:
 * since the repo is big, I want, when using sparkleshare, to clone it
   to location specified by me (pointing to extern HDD where I have
   enough space). Yes, I can workaround that with bind mounts but I'd
   expect more user-friendly solution from such app.
 * for the backgrounds I'd like to have a smaller repo
   (fedora-backgrounds is OK with me) that does not have the files
   supposed to be worked on with sparkleshare.

> I have been in the process of trying to set up a clone of the repo in
> our fedorapeople/groups/designteam space so individual files could be
> downloaded without a full clone, but I still have a few issues to
> work out.

You can download individual files from the cgit web interface already,
but you cannot push unless you have full clone. I'm not sure I follow
what are you trying to achieve here.

> > And final nitpicking. It's written in C#?! Ugh. Can't people use
> > sane languages instead of weird bas.ard child of C++, Java and M$?
> > I'm really starting to feel that people at GNOME are heading in the
> > exactly opposite direction than I'd like in more ways than one.
> > [/OT RANT]
> >
> Please, no: Not here.

Won't happen again, sorry, I had to write it somewhere after
discovering it (hence the [OT RANT] pseudo-tag)...

Martin