[Design-team] Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 21 01:36:50 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-19 22:08, Dan Mashal wrote:
> Personal opinion from a longtime fedora user:
>
> 1) Why do I have to go to a separate menu to choose a different
> kernel? Granted, I don't often have to choose an older or custom
> kernel but "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

You should have to go to a separate menu to choose a different kernel
because as you yourself admitted you do not often have to choose an
older or custom kernel. If they are always displayed when most of the
time you don't need them, they are cluttering up the menu and making it
harder for you to choose what you really want from a more manageable set
of choices.

>  2) It should just be "Fedora".

I hear your opinion on this. We could get guidance on the board from
this if we can't decide.

>  3) I don't like the way the grub menu looks right now with or
> without
> the theme. I like the old text non ubuntu/debian looking grub menu
> but
> that's just the oldskool person in me talking.

Again, your personal opinion is noted. If oldskool is your interest
though, it might be better to either go with a more oldskool distro or
install an oldskool looking theme if that is your preference.