[Design-team] Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 21 02:30:12 UTC 2012

Hi Kirk,

On 2012-06-20 19:04, Kirk Bridger wrote:
>  1 - I think data should be collected before we make assumptions
> about
> our user base.

We need to take the user base as defined by the project board as a
given:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base

It wasn't determined lightly and it was researched and deliberated and
discussed throughout the community pretty carefully.

>  2 - I think categorizing is a better solution than hiding, as users
> with lots of kernels/OSs are more likely to be switching more often,
> vs users with just a few.  The value of reducing clutter is minimized
> is clutter consists of 3-5 items, and hiding things makes it harder
> do what you want to do.

Don't forget to consider, along with majority of users vs minority of
users, how frequently vs infrequently users will be:

- Switching OSes
- Switching kernels

I believe switching OSes is going to be more frequent for even the
Pokemon 'gotta catch 'em all' distro enthusiast than switching kernels
within each OS, and the mockup that Martin put together definitely
optimizes for switching OSes instead of switching kernels. The only user
I know of that realistically switches between specific kernels on any
kind of frequent basis is a kernel developer, and I haven't seen any
complaints or concerns from kernel developers about the change. That
being said, I can certainly reach out to a few and get some feedback
from them, but I think they probably - since their menu has so many
entries anyway - have highly customized grub conf files anyway so any
defaults are likely not to affect them.

>  3 - I think removing clutter is a good goal, provided it meets our
> users needs (see comment #1)

+99 I'm glad we seem to be all on the same page about this part, we
just need to sort out more of the other details.