[Design-team] Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:31:29 UTC 2012

+1000

-----Original Message-----
From: design-team-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:design-team-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Onyeibo Oku
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:30 PM
To: Fedora Design Team
Subject: Re: [Design-team] Fedora GRUB2 boot menu, from design perspective

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 07:44 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:19:59 -0400
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
> > The Fedora Rawhide rescue line and below - that's a submenu? How do
> > you access it? (Just trynig to read your mockup properly here)
> >
> Yeah, they are supposed to be submenus, accessed by selecting, say,
> Fedora 17 (Rescue) (or Troubleshooting, as you mentioned in another
> mail). Do I make more sense now? :)
>
> Martin

I think I can jump in here.  Wow, what a reading!  Great points, great concerns!  Great forum!  Thank you Elad for starting this.

I think there could be a compromise for all parties.  I personally cringe when I am introducing a Linux-first-timer to fedora, and GRUB shows up.  Why?  I sense the confusion they feel when they see all the options, especially two Linux kernels and two windows options.  That's right ... two M$ Windoze options: one representing the rescue mode (yes, that happens sometimes and I have to explain ... "eh, choose the last one to run Windows" ... *duh*)

So, I agree with simplicity.  So what if we have this?:

|                         Welcome to GRUB 2                           |
|                       Select an OS to boot:                         |
|                             Fedora 17                               |
|                        Microsoft Windows 7                          |
|                              OS-X 7                                 |
|                       Other Boot Options >>                         |

Everything else can go under the last option.  Peace!

Notice that I centred the menu options.  From a design perspective, I think this looks better (I hope the restrictions presented by GRUB2 doesn't affect centralization).  It also tingles my psyche to see excess space to the right and bottom of the menu -- as is in the present GRUB menus.  Its a waste of screen estate and is very unaesthetic.  Why not make the box/rectangle smaller -- perhaps with small quadrants at the edges (kinda matches the Gnome theme -- now I am causing trouble :-))??

Since we are discussing GRUB2 design, lets address everything.

Regards
Onyeibo