[Design-team] Fedora Card Designs

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 10 17:10:41 UTC 2012

Hey Vanessa,

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 13:12 -0400, Vanessa Kerr wrote:
> Hi Team!
> I'm Mo Duffy's intern and I've been working on some Fedora "baseball
> cards" showing the
> different jobs that people can contribute to the team. I had some
> trouble thinking of some
> strengths and weaknesses and stuff like that for each character. It
> would be great if I could
> get some feedback and suggestions for the final product!
> *attached I should have a SVG and PNG file

So this is great work! Here's a few suggestions:

- I think Smooge's suggestions for the strengths and weaknesses are
funny and make sense and would be good to integrate.

- The cards need a front design too - these designs look like they are
good for the back because they have all the details about the character.
You could use gnokii's characters
(http://gnokii.fedorapeople.org/character.svg ) for the front side so
each job has some diversity - I think some of your characters that are
female are male in gnokii's set and vice-versa.

- Once the front design is done, I think it would be worthwhile to
format the cards for printing so we can have some produced. I found this
website with a custom trading card printing template:

http://www.mytradingcards.com/how-ready-to-print.aspx

Your SVG is very close (looks like it's 2.4 x 3.4 in your SVG, I think
2.4 x 3.5 is the final card size after cropping.) You'll need at least a
1/4 inch trim as well: to add it, you can just widen the card's blue
background half an inch wider and taller to accommodate - so that the
final design for each card is 2.75 inches x 3.75 inches. (Let me know if
you need help with this)

That vendor (mytradingcards.com) looks pretty reasonable, so I think it
would be a good idea to position the final designs in their template the
way we did with the Red Hat sticker project we've been working on. The
AI template download there is broken so I put together an Inkscape
template using the PSD downloads that you can use:

http://linuxgrrl.com/temp/tradingcards/TradingCard-Portrait_Template.svg

What do you think?