[Design-team] Fedora Events Web app

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 13 12:42:06 UTC 2012

Hello designers and ambassadors!

A lot of people asked recently for a functioning Fedora event system. This
event system should replace the wiki pages we currently use to manage
events.
I think we should implement this, because this will have many benefits for
us (and the ability to show the users nearby events on their homepage is a
great plus)

What I imagine a perfect event system including is:

   - Swag & budget management for ambassadors (instead of trac tickets)
   - Exact time, date, map and any other special arrival instructions
   - A free form text field for event information
   - A list of Fedorian attendees of the event (every Fedorian should be
   able to add himself as an atendee)
   - Optional registration (in case the event is organized by the Fedora
   community and not just a random event Fedora has a booth/stand at)
   - Ability to attach event reports to the event page after the event is
   over
   - RSS feeds for events filtered by area
   - Tags/Categories (so it'll be easy to search events by type and field
   of interest)
   - Email notifications for events in your area that you can sign up for

That's just what I can come up with now. What else would you like to see in
such an event system?
Does anyone want to start designing it (with mockups and everything)? Does
anyone have the time to implement such system?

Such event system will not only help ambassadors to organize events better
— it'll also help users to find events with Fedora presence in them, which
will surely help them become a part of the community and sooner or later
become contributors :)

--
-Elad Alfassa.