[Design-team] Sourcing supplemental wallpaper submissions from other sources.

S.Kemter sirko.kemter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 06:59:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

The point for Supplemental Wallpapers is not simple to have a package with
fine wallpapers as to bring people to contributions. To collect simple
photographs that are public domain or with an other proper license is not
the way you will get contributors just you will get a lot of submissions.
As ubuntu design team announced the winners for there next version now, I
could go easy through the submissions and pick nice ones and submit them by
myself but I dont do that.
I prefer the way to write the submitters and show them that there are other
distributions, where they can submit there work and leave the decision to
do it to them. This way we create contributors! Example just take a look at
Cleide Izabel, you will find her also always in the Ubuntu contest but she
also submitted for F18, F19 and now F20 and won, I would call her
definitely an contributor now.

To collect such work was done in earlier Supplemental Wallpaper Contest,
but did it move us forward? Why didnt we had one for F17 someone lost the
pleasure to collect others work. openSUSE does it that way but look at the
results. Personally I prefer quality not quantity, if we have 30
submissions in high quality its enough to have an voting and get an nice
package.

To the permission, that is simple an legal formulation. You could answer
the question by yourself, the permission for using it, is with CC licenses
or PD already given in advance ;)  But please stay away to collect now for
the reasons on top.

br gnokii

make me rich, buy my Inkscape book http://is.gd/yq5OD0 ;)