[Design-team] Design spin review

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 9 04:01:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 01:49:45PM -0800, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> >  * I don't know both programs enough but I would say yes, replace
> >    Rawtherapee with Darktable.
> Darktable looks more modern.

They're different. Darktable aims to be both a RAW developer and a photo
manager -- like Lightroom. (Dark/room + Light/table.) Rawtherapee is
somewhat more technically advanced in its RAW conversion right now, but
they're both getting a lot of active developement. Honestly, I'd really hate
to pick one for someone else.

> >  * What is "hugin"?  You say is huge but I don't know what it is.
> hugin can be used to stitch multiple images together. The resulting
> image can span 360 degrees. Another common use is the creation of
> very high resolution pictures by combining multiple images. It uses
> the Panorama Tools as back-end to create high quality images. I
> never used it myself.

It's very useful. And not just for panoramas. (See
https://lwn.net/Articles/412977/, for example.) The GUI is terrible, but it
can be wrestled into producing great results even if you don't know what
you're doing.