[Design-team] Fedora swag!

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:48:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/25/2013 10:59 AM, inode0 wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Has anyone got any ideas of Fedora / Flock merch that we could get made
>>> with
>>> the view of possibly selling it at flock?
>>>
>>> we need ideas of stuff that will sell, so obscure stuff like fedora
>>> branded
>>> dog collars should be avoided.
>>>
>>> a few ideas i had were:
>>>
>>> * Mugs
>>> * Laptop Skins
>>> * Lanyards
>>> * USB drives
>>
>>  From my perspective selling things to Fedora contributors that we
>> freely give away to random people at other events just doesn't feel
>> right. We have given FUDCon attendees lanyards in the past and we
>> probably have enough leftover Fedora branded USB sticks from the Red
>> Hat Summit to give every Flock attendee one if we think that is a good
>> use of the leftovers (which I do).
>

> I understand this, and the purpose of this thread was not to imply that we
> are going tp stop giving away the free stuff, but more just an exploration
> of the items we could produce. I would definitely pay money for an few extra
> fedora lanyards or higher capacity fedora branded USB drive (even if i get
> both of these for free in the swag bag) I would especially have no issues
> spending this extra cash if proceeds went into helping fund getting
> contributors to flock itself!

So now I'm getting the impression we might be charging contributors
more than the items cost to raise money for some purpose?! I don't see
how that purpose could be attendance at Flock since we won't know how
much will be raised until after the items are sold at Flock.

Probably the design list isn't the place to ask but since you seem to
know more than anyone else I've asked what is your understanding of
the purpose of selling items to contributors beyond letting
contributors get merchandise they would like to have? Is it to raise
money? Who exactly is doing the selling? Do we need to deal with local
tax collection? Do we need any sort of license to sell merchandise in
South Carolina? Needless to say I have concerns about this process.

John