[Design-team] RFC: Designs of the fedora product flyers

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 20:36:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-02 at 13:13 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Ankur,

Hi Mairin,

> On 06/02/2015 11:43 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > I'm working on flyers for the Fedora products on behalf of the
> > marketing team.
>
> Can you give us a little more context around the project? We talked
> about this a little in our team meeting today, and for example - one
> thing that came up is that the content is very release-specific and
> thus
> not very 'timeless' in that if a large print run was done, the extras
>
> wouldn't be able to be used for very long. Do you know what the plans
>
> are in terms of printing process, quantities, regions, etc?
>
> Just to illustrate where our thinking is coming from, I think a good
> example of tri-fold brochures we've done in the past are the SXSW
> 2011
> design software brochures that Emichan created -
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design/SXSW_Materials#Brochures
>
> They talk about general / core features of different applications in
> Fedora and the approach has made these flyers very reusable. (Which
> is
> good, because our first print run was very large :) )
>
> In contrast, I have a huge box full of Fedora 15 Design Suite DVDs I
> can't bear to toss because I know how much they cost right next to my
>
> desk at Red Hat - not quite so reusable :(
>
> > Jiri, on the desktop list, said he received feedback that the front
> > was
> > too plain, and not attractive enough. Would you folks have some
> > suggestions on how I could work on that? Maybe add a slogan to the
> > front? The workstation is using "This is the Linux workstation that
> > you've been waiting for." for F22, for example. (I don't think
> > adding a
> > screenshot or another image would improve it, personally.)
>
> I recognize the basic design as resembling a very simple template I
> had
> made some years ago for LibreOffice that could be updated easily by
> non-designers. I think we could probably rebuild the template in
> Scribus
> with a much nicer design to enable non-designers to be able to update
>
> the content but still have a nicer look and feel. I would suggest
> once
> we get a little more info about the background / goals / target
> audience
> / etc of the project that we could open up a design team ticket and
> have
> a designer work on that for you?
>
> Hope this helps,

Thank you for discussing this at the meeting.

At the moment, I'm simply trying to provide the community with flyers
that they can use at events. There hasn't been any discussion about it
that I know of. I had made a workstation flyer for F21 and EMEA was
happy to use it at their events (FOSDEM was one I think). I was just
updating it to F22 so that people had something to give out at events
that they attend/organise.

I know about the generic release independent one that you refer to - I
updated it a while ago[1]. It'll be nice to have that updated to
reflect the changes that Fedora.next brought - it's also on my TODO
list.

Ideally, the community should have material ready to use at events and
things, and the workstation flyer is just one of these things. (I'm
also working on versions for the server and cloud products.) I must
admit that I do not know who creates the flyers and marketing
collateral - marketing or design or do they do it together - they
haven't been done for a while. Ideally, marketing collateral should
also be on our task lists, but it isn't on either the marketing teams'
or the design teams' :(

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-22/f-22-marketing-tasks.html
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-22/f-22-design-tasks.html

The flyers are in LaTeX because I happen to be the only person working
on them - and I basically chose what fit me. I'm no designer, and LaTeX
at least makes them look clean, and professional :). However,  if
others in the community do want to update and modify them (even though
this doesn't seem to happen often), LaTeX is certainly not the best
tool to use.

What I had in mind was something like this:
- generic "timeless" flyer -> produced in large quantities since it can
be used release after release
- product and release specific flyers -> produced in smaller quantities
so that they're not left over

The ambassadors do have an idea of how many they'd need - they have
estimates for media production and those could be applied to flyers as
well.

I know that we have marketing collateral and things on the wiki, but I
don't know if the ambassadors are aware of this. I had made a page for
F20:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/For_Ambassadors/Fedora20
and I was hoping to put it up again for F22 - actually I was hoping to
have a better page - maybe press.fp.o:
https://ankursinha.fedorapeople.org/press.fp.o/press.fp.o-mockup.png -
that people could refer to all the time, instead of the wiki.

The marketing team is supposed to "brief ambassadors about release" -
I've never seen this happen but I was hoping to do it this release - I
wanted to have at least a set of flyers for the ambassadors before I
asked the marketing team to prepare a "release kit" sort of thing.

So, this is all just routine stuff really, stuff that I think should be
around all the time, and at each release :)

[1] https://github.com/sanjayankur31/fedora-release-flyer
-generic/tree/master/flyers/2013-05
--
Thanks,