[Design-team] RFC: Designs of the fedora product flyers

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 2 20:55:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 06/02/2015 04:36 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> At the moment, I'm simply trying to provide the community with flyers
> that they can use at events. There hasn't been any discussion about it
> that I know of. I had made a workstation flyer for F21 and EMEA was
> happy to use it at their events (FOSDEM was one I think). I was just
> updating it to F22 so that people had something to give out at events
> that they attend/organise.

So what is the motivation to give them out at events? What is the goal
of making them available? How are ambassadors using them at event
tables? Do we have any specific feedback from ambassadors about how
useful they were, specific feedback about how booth visitors use them /
how the ambassadors might use them to direct a conversation / etc? Are
there specific ambassadors we can talk to in order to get this
information? Are these only meant to be given out at events or are there
other anticipated applications?

> I know about the generic release independent one that you refer to - I
> updated it a while ago[1]. It'll be nice to have that updated to
> reflect the changes that Fedora.next brought - it's also on my TODO
> list.

Are both the release-specific ones and the generic one meant to be
handed out at the same event? (I would anticipate some confusion?)

> Ideally, the community should have material ready to use at events and
> things, and the workstation flyer is just one of these things. (I'm
> also working on versions for the server and cloud products.) I must
> admit that I do not know who creates the flyers and marketing
> collateral - marketing or design or do they do it together - they
> haven't been done for a while. Ideally, marketing collateral should
> also be on our task lists, but it isn't on either the marketing teams'
> or the design teams' :(
>
> https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-22/f-22-marketing-tasks.html
> https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-22/f-22-design-tasks.html

This is definitely not a recurring item on the design team's task list
because the design team does not (well we try very hard not to) come up
with content and we honestly don't have the manpower to update something
like that every single release - the cost / benefit analysis doesn't
really show a good payoff there for the effort expended vs other
projects we typically have on our plate. Providing outdated material
IMHO is worse than providing no material at all. I also strongly believe
any material we do produce needs to have a well-defined goal and purpose
so we can assess whether or not it is successful over time and tweak it
to keep it useful (or drop it if it no longer is.)

> The flyers are in LaTeX because I happen to be the only person working
> on them - and I basically chose what fit me. I'm no designer, and LaTeX
> at least makes them look clean, and professional :). However,  if
> others in the community do want to update and modify them (even though
> this doesn't seem to happen often), LaTeX is certainly not the best
> tool to use.

I think Scribus may be the best tool for the balance of design
capability and easy edit-ability (we can even drive it using external
text files so someone editing content would just need to edit particular
text files and be able to generate an updated version.)

> What I had in mind was something like this:
> - generic "timeless" flyer -> produced in large quantities since it can
> be used release after release
> - product and release specific flyers -> produced in smaller quantities
> so that they're not left over

How would these four pieces of material (1 generic + 1 per Fedora
edition) interact though? Remember that folks at conferences are picking
up an awful lot of stuff, and there needs to be a clear story about the
relationship between the materials we offer. (I'm not saying there
isn't, just that I don't know what it is.)

> The ambassadors do have an idea of how many they'd need - they have
> estimates for media production and those could be applied to flyers as
> well.
>
> I know that we have marketing collateral and things on the wiki, but I
> don't know if the ambassadors are aware of this. I had made a page for
> F20:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/For_Ambassadors/Fedora20
> and I was hoping to put it up again for F22 - actually I was hoping to
> have a better page - maybe press.fp.o:
> https://ankursinha.fedorapeople.org/press.fp.o/press.fp.o-mockup.png -
> that people could refer to all the time, instead of the wiki.
>
> The marketing team is supposed to "brief ambassadors about release" -
> I've never seen this happen but I was hoping to do it this release - I
> wanted to have at least a set of flyers for the ambassadors before I
> asked the marketing team to prepare a "release kit" sort of thing.
>
> So, this is all just routine stuff really, stuff that I think should be
> around all the time, and at each release :)

I think probably a lot of this should be driven via the marketing team -
are you in contact with them so this is on the team-wide radar?

~m