[Design-team] Seeking feedback on a prototype

Ratnadeep Debnath rtnpro at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 2 16:03:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/2015 03:43 PM, Ralph Bean wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 08:27:56AM +0530, Ratnadeep Debnath wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Ralph Bean <rbean at redhat.com> wrote:
> That would be awesome.  I agree that it's the right technical
> solution.  There's a social element to the problem though, that we
> all of our app developers haven't been able to settle on a common set
> of tools, libs, and frameworks.  Some of us use bootstrap, some of us
> use a 'koji.css' file that's been passed around, the qa-devel group
> uses Zurb Foundation.. etc (we use different template engines as well.
> Some jinja2, some mako, there are others).
>

> Yeah, this is pretty much the big issue here. Just observing, it seems that
> a lot of the new stuff going forward is beginning to use bootstrap, so
> having a theme for that might be the way to go. For all the other stuff,
> having a implementation somewhere that we can "fork" and keep with the other
> apps might be the way to go. This will be a maintainece nightmare, but it
> really is the best way to go, IMHO.
+1

> If we force the apps to fit the theme, it makes the templates and other app
> code more unmaintainable, so my theory here is to take the unmaintainabilty
> hit in the CSS, as we can at least see "visually" if an app looks like what
> we want.
I am not able to get the point here. Most templating solutions allow
extending from base templates and customizing them as needed. Links to
CSS are also part of the templates, usually, in some template blocks,
which can be extended or overwritten. By having a common codebase for
base templates will actually be a step towards DRY: Don't Repeat
Yourself approach.

> Also, very interested in getting this consistent look and feel working -- It
> might be a good first step here to try to identify what apps we are talking
> about, and what backends / templating systems they use.

I think we should standardizing and creating guidelines around how to
write apps for Fedora. We can have boilerplate codes in different
frameworks which people can fork/include and start working. If
individual projects need to override some UI or behaviour, they can
always do that. In this way, we try to enforce the common
theme/templates/styles for all Fedora apps and standardize and speed
up the app development process.

Regards,
rtnpro
--