[Fedora-desktop-list] Fonts-extras

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 07:40:37 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 10:03, Jonathan C. Sitte wrote:

> So when are we going to make a fonts-xtras package for Fedora? My
> goodness it would be nice to get some more fonts on this thing. I can do
> it by hand but it would be nice if we worked together and specifically
> chose a collection of extras as one packege. Of course they have to be
> free. Let me know what you think of this? I was using inkscape and gimp
> and was thinking why the heck don't we have a fonts-extras yet? Just a
> though ;).

I guess one reason is that most fonts tend to be very poor wrt to
hinting and unicode coverage. This means they are pretty bad for typical
display purposes, and filling up the font selectors with fonts that
aren't really useful might be a bad thing for most users.

What sort of fonts where you wanting? Decorative ones or plain ones?

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an all-American crooked rock star with a secret. She's a brilliant blonde
bodyguard from a secret island of warrior women. They fight crime!