[Fedora-desktop-list] Suggestion for panel and applications menu

Jaap A. Haitsma jaap at haitsma.org
Wed Nov 19 22:21:41 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have some comments/suggestions about the current gnome desktop in
Fedora. (Feel free to burn the comments/suggestions in flames ;-) )

* I find the standard gnome panel at the bottom of the screen very
clunky, because it fills up a large part of the screen. (I know I can
auto hide it or make it smaller.)  I find smaller panel (or 2 panels)
like they use in ximian desktop See:
http://www.ximian.com/images/screenshots/desktop/browsing-windows-network.png
looking much more modern

* I find the menus Preferences, System Settings and System tools quite
confusing. They contain many similar menu items and  if you would make a
quiz show in which of the three a certain setting should be set, I think
the average user would not do that well.
I'd like to suggest to have one "Configuration" (or whatever what you
want to call it) menu, where you have two sections: user preferences
(which sets options for the current user that is logged in) and system
preferences (for setting system wide settings for which you need to be
or become root)

Jaap