Whats up with up2date?

Emanuele osprey at galactica.it
Wed Jan 21 14:40:05 UTC 2004

Il mer, 2004-01-21 alle 02:39, Charles McColm ha scritto:
> On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 21:02, scott wrote:
> > When I try to use  up2date it freezes up when trying to download
> > updates? Sometimes it says that the gnu license is bad and asks to
> > continue anyway. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a link where I
> > could find an updated/fixed up2date rpm?
>
> Scott are you using dialup by chance? I too have had problems with
> up2date. My problem is a little different and only seems to happen with
> larger downloads. (i.e. a kernel update)
>
> My solution is to use the RHN-applet to discover what packages need to
> be updated, then to use gftp to go to one of the Fedora Core mirror
> sites and manually download the updates, then rpm -Uvh the updates. I
> find it a whole lot faster!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles

I have similar problems ("..gnu license.." gpg signature error?, and
stalled download).
Maybe i'm wrong but I think it's a problem of the official servers which
are overloaded. I fix it by editing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and
adding mirror repository taken from
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html.
Now it works pretty well.

For example a part of my /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
"...
yum fedora-core-1-mirror
ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/ #mirror

yum updates-released_mirror_2
ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/ #mirror

yum updates-testing_mirror_2
ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/1/i386/
...".
I leave the lines which refer to the official servers (and i simply
don't check the relative channel when up2date shows the list)
and  but i think that they could be commented if you want.

Best Regards