"Professinalism" syntax

Wally Wilson alt.wally at mousemeadows.com
Thu Nov 11 22:28:51 UTC 2004

To: Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:49 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:34:40AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> At OLS last year (I think during Erik Troan's talk on conary), whilst
> taking questions, barcode kicked in. On a ~10ft projector, with the
> word 'flatulence'.
>
> Unfortunate and somewhat embarressing perhaps, but highly amusing.
>
> The choice of words barcode uses do seem to be of this nature a lot
> of the time, so I can sort of see the OPs point.

I'm all for professionalism but I'm MORE for acting like an adult and
realizing the world isn't all roses and tea.
-sv
--------------------------------

The real issue -- the issue that the original author failed to address
-- is not about "professionalism" at all.  The real issue is about
personal mores and taste.

Words mean things, and the Fedora package is every bit as "professional"
as any other Linux distro.

If someone does not like, or want something as simple as a screen saver,
for whatever reasons, it is their choice and their responsibility to
address the matter on each machine they administer.  The same argument
could be made for including games in the distro when it is used in a
work environment that does not allow games.

The responsibility for administering a system lies with the owner, not
the software manufacturer.  MS has made good money trying to remove the
responsibility of system admin from its userbase, and that is not how
the real world works.

-wally