Professionalism

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Fri Nov 12 15:40:18 UTC 2004

fre, 12.11.2004 kl. 01.06 skrev Arturo:
> Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>
> >tor, 11.11.2004 kl. 16.08 skrev seth vidal:

> >>I agree, We should have more professional behavior. And since most
> >>professionals are adults and know that world is filled with all sorts of
> >>things that _you_ may not like but that others may, I think we should
> >>respect the differences between people and let adults choose what
> >>behavior of their screensavers they want. Therefore, I recommend
> >>screensaver preferences! In EVERY DESKTOP! The ability to choose a
> >>screensaver must be included in the distribution to put a stop to this
> >>anti-professional degradation.
> >>

> >>oh.. wait.. they're already there.
> >>
> >>hmm.
> >>
> >>-sv
> >>

> >Yes they are. But imagine removing those on every damn user profile
> >in... lets say a school.
> >
> >What really should be done, is split the screensaverpackage in three
> >rpms (at least) - "xscreensaver-safe", "xcsreensaver-gl", and
> >"xscreensaver-others". At least the two first should be installed by
> >default. The reason to split it, is that the gl package can then be
> >removed safely from systems where it is not wanted. Simply beckause they
> >suck CPU, and on non-hw-3d deployments, you migth not want them.
> >

> This is the most constructive suggestion I've seen on the list so far in
> response to this issue, and so I second it.. I am however, somwhat
> curious as to what offensive words popped-up in Barcode.
>
> Peace

Thank you. Splitting it up should really be best for all parties - so
that if you want it, you can install the rpm (from yum, even). If you
dont, remove it, and youll never have an update putting it back behind
your back.

Same goes to the GL and other cpu-hogs - on a LTSP server, i would *very
much indeed* like to kill off those - through the package system...