OOO not auto-saving by default

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Fri Nov 26 01:41:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 22:23 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > It is a user defined task - especially in a networked environment,
> > turning on autosave when home directories are NFS mounted isn't the
> > wisest thing to do
>
> Why not?

Because the OOo <2.0 way is to overwrite the current file, which can be
mighty annoying

The OO. >2.0 way will save it in a temp file, and then only will it
write it to a current file the moment you hit Save

Now, my argument over traffic - if you're dealing w/large documents in a
large environment (think a university lab), you're getting quite a lot
of traffic with autosaves turned on. Also, those USB thumb drive things
might not appreciate being written to so often (speculation here)
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi