User space filesharing

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 15:01:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 10:43 -0400, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 15:51 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > In between bugfixes I managed to hack up a pretty cool feature. A
> > program that allows you to easily share files on a network without
> > having to configure anything. Its not production quality yet, and it
> > lacks some UI, but it seems to work.
> >
> > You can get rpms to try it at:
> > http://people.redhat.com/alexl/RPMS/gnome-user-share-0.2-1.i386.rpm
> > http://people.redhat.com/alexl/RPMS/gnome-user-share-0.2-1.src.rpm
> >
> > Just install them and start gnome-user-share, then toggle
> > the /desktop/gnome/file_sharing/enabled key using gconf-editor or
> > gconftool-2. You should get a $HOME/Public directory which is exported
> > via webdav, and it should immediately be visible in the "Network"
> > location in Nautilus 2.7/2.8 on all machines on the local network.
> >
> > Please test it out.
>

> The gconf key didn't exist without a log out and log back in. Setting it
> with gconftool-2 worked though. I can use nautilus to browse it locally
> (navigating from computer->network->tjb's public files on the same
> machine that is doing the sharing) but from another machine, the public
> folder doesn't appear as an entity on the network. I have tcp wrappers
> locked down so could this be the problem? It works great locally though.

I'm not sure why it didn't work on the other machine. Did it have
nautilus 2.7, and howl installed and mDNSResponder running? Seems to be
a problem with rendezvous. Maybe a firewall issue?

I'm not sure why installing schemas doesn't trigger reloading them in an
already running gconfd. I've seen it happen for other packages, so its a
general problem. But it matters little in this case, just set the key to
true.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a deeply religious Jewish vampire hunter from a doomed world. She's an
artistic gold-digging femme fatale with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's
torch. They fight crime!