Changes to firefox FC3

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Sun Apr 10 18:37:39 UTC 2005

Rule #1:  Define the problem prior to beginning a rant.
Rule #2:  See Rule #1

So, I violated the first rule of asking for help by not defining my
issue.  Let me attempt to give you folks ACTUAL information instead of
just saying "it's broke!"

I take on-line classes through the University of Maryland.  They have a
fancy web based interface that appears to "require" JavaScript 1.5

If your web browser doesn't support JS 1.5, you can login to their
services, but some of the frames in their site will generate errors
stating that you don't have the proper version of java script.

They have a test page to see if your web browser supports JS 1.5 here:
http://tychousa1.umuc.edu/sys/browserinfo.html

This is the page that I used to determine the JS version as I am not
savvy enough to poke through the firefox code to determine what version
is in the application.  This is how I came up with this table:

rpm version             JS version
1.0-2.fc3               1.5
1.0.1-1.3.1             1.4
1.0.1-1.3.2             1.4
1.0.2-1.3.1             1.4

I installed the various FC3 versions of firefox and clicked on the link
above and wrote down the java script version that was detected.  If I
use the 1.0.2 from mozilla.org, I get JS version 1.5 which is different
behavior from the the 1.0.2 from FC3.

I believe this to be an issue with firefox in FC3, not an issue with
firefox itself.  Comments?

Sean