Focus of new windows in metacity

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 00:48:36 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> fre, 15.04.2005 kl. 20.38 skrev Behdad Esfahbod:
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Colin Charles wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 22:06 -0400, Eric Warnke wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, "fixed" with GNOME 2.10
> > >
> > > Now, how do I revert it back to the old behaviour, because I find not
> > > getting my GAIM messages pop-up to be something that negates
> > > productivity
> >
> > Exactly.  I have to keep polling the GAIM window...  Not only
> > that, when I click on a PDF file in a browser, it takes a while
> > to figure out why *nothing is happening*.  Well, because the PDF
> > viewer is opened in the background...  I can only hope FC4
> > doesn't ship with this setting.  Any chance to do that?
> >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > --behdad
> > http://behdad.org/
>
> Perhaps the best way to do it, would be to have an API call which told
> metacity to never let anything take focus from it. So that pasword
> dialogs etc. wouldn't suffer todays problems, and no new problems would
> be generated.
>
> Kyrre
>
> --

My solution to this problem has been to install the guifications
plugin at http://guifications.sourceforge.net/ .  It just raises a
small window on your screen for certain events.  You can then click on
it to go over to that IM, or right click for more options..  It gives
you the security of windows stealing focus when you are typing, and
notification when events happen in gaim.  I am using the Clearlooks
theme which blends in quite nicely with gnome 2.10.

Jon