Evolution auto user setup

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 18:24:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 08:48 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> >> I've written some Python scripts to make it easier to work with
> >> Evolution's configuration information, in the hope of automating mass
> >> deployments of Evolution.
> > [...]
> >> I've tested this, and had it working for an Evolution 2.0 deployment.  I
> >> suspect the approach will break under some circumstances, and with
> >> different versions of Evolution.  Comments and patches welcome.
> >
> > Hey, this and Mark's LDAP gconf backend are a really nice start. What's
> > currently missing for my environment is PERSONALIZE_SERVERNAME as there are
> > god-knows-how-many different servers around the company.

Thanks; sorry about the delay in replying.

>From a brief reading of the patch it looks good, but I haven't got it to
apply yet.  Please can you resend this as an attachment rather than
inline?  I tried fixing up the wordwraps and whitespace but Python hates
me :-(

> Oh well.. this adds optional PERSONALIZE_SERVERNAME and
> PERSONALIZE_MAILBOXNAME settings to it - the mailbox name isn't
> necessarily same as username. Oh and the mailbox name can contain dots in
> it so the mailboxRegex also tweaked.
> Didn't test this in action but based on visual inspection of the results
> it seems to do what it's supposed to.

Ideally we'd have a test suite to go with this; it would be nice to have
it verify on "make test" that the output of personalization is as
expected.

> Further todo: currently only the Mail Account entry is fixed, other places
> potentially needing fixing of username and server name are Tasks-,
> Addressbook- and Calendar Source.

It should already fixup the username; it would be the server name that
would need fixing in that case.  Further patches welcome!

Dave