X crashes when using a new monitor

Douglas Furlong fedora-lists at dark-hill.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 15:30:54 UTC 2005

----- Message from bjiang_ee at yahoo.ca ---------    Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005
09:53:59 -0500    From: Benjamin Jiang <bjiang_ee at yahoo.ca>Reply-To:
Discussions about development for the Fedora desktop
<fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com> Subject: Re: X crashes when using a new
monitor      To: Jon Savage <jonathansavage at gmail.com>, Discussions about
development for the Fedora desktop <fedora-desktop-list at redhat.com>

> Jon Savage wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:38:11 -0500, Benjamin Jiang
>> <bjiang_ee at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all,
>>>
>>> I installed a fresh copy of FC3 into my Dad's machine and everything
>>> worked fine. However, when I brought the machine to my Dad's place and
>>> plugged in his monitor (Acer 7154e), X crashes no matter what. I tried
>>> config xorg.conf with the correct HorizSync and VertRefresh, but it
>>> didn't even make any difference.
>>>
>> <snip>
>> Try booting into runlevel 3 and then
>> login as root and do system-config-display --reconfig.
>>
>> Bests
>>
>> JS
>>

> Thanks, Jon.
>
> I did that yesterday already and no difference made.

When booting in to run level 3, log in as either a non privaliged user, or as
root and running "startx", if X still crashes you should get some
output in the
terminal.

Also look through the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, as that will have some more
information that may help us to help you.

Doug

--
Douglas Furlong
ICQ: 7574077