Do yum and up2date play nice?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 14 14:41:05 UTC 2005

Being a belt-&-suspenders kind of guy, especially about security, I've
been running both yum nightly updates and up2date (on three FC1 PCs and an
FC2 PC). Someone recommended synaptic, and I installed that. Now when I
invoke it, it gives me an error message about duplicate packages ; and
when I look, sure enough, there are two -- with slightly different indicia.

Will keeping both really make trouble? It looks like synaptic will let me
find them and choose -- but not tell me how to choose. (My impulse would
just be to take the later a/o higher numbered.)

When I invoke synaptic, I get this :
                            =====
[btth at localhost btth]$ synaptic &
[1] 10128
[btth at localhost btth]$
(synaptic:10132): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 2041
(gtk_widget_hide): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
                 =====
and once it opens, it shows me :
                 =====
There are multiple versions of "gd-devel" in your system.

This package won't be cleanly updated, unless you leave
only one version. To leave multiple versions installed,
you may remove that warning by setting the following
option in your configuration file:

RPM::Allow-Duplicated { "^gd-devel$"; };

To disable these warnings completely set:

RPM::Allow-Duplicated-Warning "false";
                 =====
similarly for gstreamer-plugins, gnome-session, man, libpng,
syatem-config-display, slang, GConf2-devel, libbonobo, krb5-libs,
rsync, squid, gnome-applets, rpm-build, shadow-utils, nfs-utils,
mod_ssl, libpcap, and mkisofs.

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4