Do yum and up2date play nice? -- detail

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Mar 14 21:52:55 UTC 2005

man, 14.03.2005 kl. 22.19 skrev seth vidal:
> > Another difference: in synaptic you can browse for packages. AFAIK you
> > can't do that with yum.
> >

> well considering yum isn't a graphic interface, you're right.
>
> if you want to search and look through things in yum, you can:
>
> yum list available
> yum search
> yum provides
>
> -sv

Yes you can. And it works in fc3 (- even if a gui would be nice).

But in fc2 and earlier its deadly slow (it migth be me remembering the
performance of yum over a dialup...).

But today, yum is a nice tool. Really. I am really glad it exists - it
provides the "package management piece" to fc, and both me, and many
more use it every day with joy.