Strange messages in syslog

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Mar 23 23:09:07 UTC 2005

   Hi all... Maybe I'm being too paranoid, but I just wanted to know
what may be going on if I have a lot of messages in /var/log/messages
about root sessions being opened and closed very quickly, for instance:

Mar 23 16:55:01 Blackhawk crond(pam_unix)[6028]: session opened for user
root by (uid=0)
Mar 23 16:55:01 Blackhawk crond(pam_unix)[6028]: session closed for user
root

As you can see the session lasts less than a second. What does this
mean? Are these processes that require root access that open the session
and as soon as these services are done, close it??

Thanks!

PS: I know this may not be the best place to post this, if so, what
would be the best place to post this?