Browsing windows networks on konqeror

Shashi Kanth Boddula sboddula at novell.com
Thu May 5 19:24:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have one project where the customer is migrating from Windows XP to
Linux . The main requirement for them is to access network shares as
they are accessing network shares in XP . In XP , a domain user  can
browse the network  and he can go into any computer which is part of the
domain . The user no needs to provide user name and password to access
network shares in XP ( provided by appropriate  permissions ) . So, the
customer is expecting same thing from Linux.

In KDE , if i am browsing the windows network by using konqeror , you
can see all the domains in the network and machines which are part of
these domain . But , when i am trying access to one machine ,
username-password dialog box appears . After providing username &
password credentials , a user can go inside that machine and he can
access the shares which are in that machine . If you try to access same
machine second time , you won't  get username-password dialog box .
Konqeror has capabilities to cache the password , but this is not
permenent for windows networks .  Kwallet also doesn't helping me to
solve this issue.

I joined Linux to their domain , but still the problem exists . Please
any body can tell me how we can solve the problem . Is kwallet solve
this kind problems or is there is any way to solve this problem .
Actually , this is the common requirement for all customers who are
migrating from Windows to Linux .

Thanks & Regards,
Shashi kanth