Icon Theme

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:39:03 UTC 2006

Hi there,

The Tango project has become the one true style guide for free
software theming. A few heavy weight apps such as gnome, inkscape,
gimp and openoffice.org are or will be using tango style icons. The
project's developers are of high profile and the quality of the icons
is without doubt the best. I followed a few Tango_Fridays¹ in irc
#tango and was much impressed. As you can see in Tango_Fridays¹, more
and more upstream apps will be adopting their icons.

Today I visited the EchoDevelopment² after a few months, my feeling
was not good. But my biggest concerns is that although Echo is using
tango naming specs, its style (perspective, color palette etc) is
different. This will put Fedora in a situation as Bluecurve does -
inconsistency across the desktop. Inconsistency will definitely
compromise usability.

So what's the way out? Changing Echo to fit into the universe of tango
style icons? Put Echo on hold and use tango for Fedora 7? Please
comment.

Thank you!

Footnotes:
¹  http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Fridays