Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 17:52:52 UTC 2007

>My first take was to reply to this on the mailing list, but you
cross-posted os that many lists >that the discuss can only be
fragmented and unintelligible. Cross-posting is bad etiquette >and I
won't do that.

Sorry for that. I didn't post to mailing lists for years so I forgot
some etiquettes :) But that was benevolent cross-post, because it is
an issue that concerns all included parties.

>> fedora magazine page
>What is that? Do you mean http://www.redhatmagazine/ ?

Yes, my mistake.

>> Player just crashes! And the default player is kamboodle! Why is that?!?
>I guess either a bad selection of packages at install time or a bug
in a test release. Bugs >happen in test releases, this is their
purpose. Normally, Totem should be the default video
>player, and maybe Rhythmbox may be triggered to open an Ogg by
accident, thinking it is >a music, not video file (because of te MIME
type).

"Bad selection of install packages"? Trust me it is not. I installed
the default packages.
Bug do happen, but this is more than a bug, because I gave an example
how this issue was even worse in Fedora Core 6, and still is in the
default FC6 install.
This issue is mayor usability oversight, or a usability bug.

>> Regarding proprietary video codecs
>Have you read:
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#head-69c9770fc2ef79ea9a691d03aa2f475eed113bfa
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/MP3

Yes I have. And I knew enough about codecs and opensource and fedora
before I wrote my post. I think the argument for codecs still stands.

>And maybe don't know about
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy

I know about it but I still don't see it anywhere in Fedora 7 Test 3
!!! Please correct me if I'm wrong. And AFAIK feature freeze is now on
for Fedora 7.

>Directly linking from Fedora or an official Fedora website to
http://rpm.livna.org is >considered "contributory infingement"

There are "legal" issues but I bet that a good team of willing lawyers
CAN come up with an solution. Like an legal statement or some EULA or
something like that that users need to accept BEFORE linking to
"rpm.livna.org" in order to make impossible for 3rd parties to sue
RedHat for "contributory infingement". I'm not close to being a lawyer
but I believe that can be legally done.

>note: I also live in Europe

Ok, technically I'm not in Europe :) Croatia is pending EU membership.