Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 19:03:07 UTC 2007

On 18/04/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > I'm being stuborn because I've turned a few people on to Linux, and I
> > know that Fedora is a bad first experience. Don't get me wrong: I use
> > Fedora at home after toying with SUSE, [K]Ubuntu, and a few others. I
> > simply love Fedora. Fedora ships with the latest stable Digikam, KDE,
> > etc... everything but Firefox. Therefore Fedora has features other
> > distros simply cannot match while retaining Fedora's (relative)
> > stability. However, those new to Linux need mp3 support, amoung other
> > things that stock Fedora cannot legally provide. Exposing these people
> > to Fedora will scare them away from Linux in general.
>
> SUSE or Ubuntu does not play any proprietary codecs by default nor do
> install proprietary drivers. Fedora is very much in par in these cases
> and sometimes a better introduction. Compiz integration for example was
> much better in Fedora which Ubuntu has copied over in their upcoming
> release. At any rate the introduction of live images does not change the
>   composition of software included in this context. Again, What exactly
> is it that you want us to do?

Kubuntu 6.10 most certainly does install proprietary codecs upon
demand, right inside Amarok. Very slick, and it is a make-or-break
deal for a lot of new users. Compiz in Fedora is certainly true, but
eye-candy is not a deal maker-or-breaker.

I entered the discussion not with the intention of telling you what to
do, rather, to make you aware of the possibility of scaring people
away with it. The inclusion of said CodecBuddy will likely change
that.

> > I was referring to unofficial releases. I wasn't sure if unofficial
> > releases could use the name Fedora.
>
> If you redistributing it and if you include third party software you
> have to rebrand your image. Private use is fine in any form.  I think
> live image tools has a feature in it's roadmap to do this easily.

I don't intend on distributing a LiveCD of my own, which is why I said
that the point is currently irrelevant. Though, I may just spin one to
learn a bit.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_a_router.html
http://music-liriks.com