Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 19 17:26:48 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Until end users can click on an mp3 file, and keep clicking dialogs
> until it plays (with no googling/searching/reading and no prior
> knowledge) then Fedora will not be simple for new users. Additionally,
> I didn't think that Fedora wanted to get to that point until I saw
> CodecBuddy.

Clicking on mp3 files is just one activity. User friendless is not
measured by just this one factor. We have already explained in detail
why we don't intend to support it by default on this at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ. It serves no purpose repeating this
information again. So let's not have the same discussion on mp3 codecs
for the umpteenth time.

> Obviously I don't want the LiveCD project to be dropped. But I
> emphasize the need to consider it's impact.

You certainly questioned the need for a live cd before. We have already
considered it in detail and decided to do it before we started investing
resources on doing it.

> We cannot avoid that, therefore we must ensure that the LiveCD does
> not deter them. Do you disagree with that?

How exactly do you ensure that? That is the information that I have been
asking for.

Rahul