Installing the Big Board part of online desktop

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Apr 20 06:42:16 UTC 2007

Colin Walters wrote:

> If you'd like to try out the Big Board mentioned in that entry, see this
> wiki page:
>
> http://developer.mugshot.org/wiki/Big_Board
>
> Let us know what you think!

It have a few annoying things (which I believe you are aware already):
- on the wiki you recommend starting it by typing "bigboard" at a
command prompt, unfortunaely, bigboard will not launch in the background
(not even using "bigboard &") and if you close the terminal, also the
application is closed. A better way is to press Alt+F2 to gett the Gnome
"run" dialog and type "bigboard" there, but this leave you without a way
to close the application.
- if I talked about application close, is there a way to close the app
without killing it? I didn't saw a "close" button.
- another annoying thing is the window placement: bigboard is not the
single most important item on the desktop to have it in the top-left
corner of the screen, so it would be useful if it allowed me to drag the
panel to the right border of the screen.

With those said, I noticed a minor problem (which again, I think you are
already aware): having bigboard open, I went to my mugshot profile,
noticed the addition to picassaweb to account settings and configured
it. Bigboard noticed this addition to my profile only after a restart.