f8 desktop livecd

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 18:43:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:00 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> In other words, the Fedora Project (thus, the board), need to say "OK,
> we're actually doing a targeted Fedora Desktop product and people not
> using it for desktop/laptop can use the old 'Fedora Universe' way of
> doing things.". Until I see such leadership coming from the board I'm
> not sure it's worth messing around with kickstart files at all?

I don't think we need to wait for leadership necessarily, if there is
interest in it.  Let's make it work.  If it does, then we can jump
through whatever red tape is necessary.

> We, the people working on the Fedora Desktop, have this great chance to
> actually do a really good desktop distro.

Right, because it's not actually that hard, as you (and whoever else
that hacked on the livecd stuff) proved.  It's just being willing to sit
down and polish.

> But as long as people expect
> "Fedora Live Media" to work in e.g. server use cases (as I argue they
> may do today, mainly due to bad messaging), it's just a waste of time

Totally agree.

Ok.  Here's my suggestion.  We call this "Fedora Personal Laptop".  Skip
the word "Desktop" because it means too many different things.

Personal Laptop is defined as targeting roughly the same base set of
functionality that one might expect to find after purchasing a
mainstream consumer laptop from Dell, Apple, HP, etc.

It is very explicitly *NOT* defined as a "Linux distribution" or
"Fedora", because the first definition is and always has been
meaningless, and the second is just vacuous/self-referential.

Does this mean Personal Laptop is actually defined as chasing the tail
of competitors?  Yes, it does.  Is there something wrong with that?
Well, it's a lot better than just shipping a gigantic DVD or a mishmash
of whatever random package developers thought needs to be in "Fedora".