f8 desktop livecd

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:13:16 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:40 +0200, dragoran wrote:
>
>> for x86_64 we already use a dvd ... so why not add OO ?
>>

> It's been a goal, earlier, to produce a distribution that fits on a CD
> for all the usual reasons: DVD media is more expensive, not everyone has
> DVD burners, some people don't even have DVD readers.

I doubt you will find a many *x86_64* boxes without dvd readers (or even
burners).
> Btw, some of us consider the goal of having multilib on the x86_64
> desktop live cd wrong.
I disagre here people want third party apps to run out of the box and
some of them are not shipped as x86_64 versions the best examples are
flash and closed sources games like quake4.
>  I'm sure it makes a lot of sense for general
> Fedora users (especially those using an enterprise rebuild, *cough*,
> RHEL) but am not so sure that the segment we're trying to target really
> cares. And if they do care, our package management tools should be able
> to pull in the 32-bit requisite packages anyway (and I think the tools
> support this already).

if its about installing packages its true and they indeed gets pulled
in. but still basic multilib support is needed for cases like I
mentioned above.
> [..] I don't know what the answer is to any of these. At
> least it's worth thinking about.

+1