f8 desktop livecd

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 7 18:42:50 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> Feedback from non-US/non-European based locales is that CD media is
> still very important.  The fact that the "Fedora spin" is DVD only gets
> a reasonable amount of flak, but it tends to be deflected with "go use
> the live CD" :)

That doesn't always work. We have got several dozen people asking about
this despite the presence of installable live images.

1) There are people who want access to a large number of packages but
don't have a high bandwidth connection or DVD drive. Lack of full media
support in yum and friends makes it hard too. Integrating Jidgo into the
release process might be useful for them. Also Opyum.

2) On x86_64 you have to use special CD media or usually DVD but you
don't get all the packages you could fill in a DVD. If you want to
continue insisting on multi-lib by default then a better solution might
be to cut down on the x86 image size so that the x86_64 image still fits
on a CD.

3) We haven't yet worked out a good upgrade solution for those who have
installed from a live image. If you get the anaconda based semi live
upgrade solution before Fedora 8 release, we should be ok.

Rahul