Tracker by default in Fedora 8?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:37:26 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> Personally - I'm a bit skeptical of Tracker actually being better than
> Beagle.  I don't have anything substantial, but my instinct on this is
> that writing a desktop search engine is actually really hard - not
> barfing on bad files (inherent tension with supporting lots of file
> types), figuring out all the touchy details of when to do the
> indexing[1], etc., and that unlike Beagle, Tracker actually hasn't seen
> wide deployment so it hasn't yet been truly tested.

I don't expect any implementation of an indexer to be perfect. But
what I desperately need, is an implementation that expects to run into
problems and knows how to communicate back to the users when it runs
into a problem indexing a file... so we can attempt to actually report
something credible and reproducible.   My biggest beef with beagle
wasn't that it sat there and chewed system resources. My biggest beef
with beagle was that there was no obvious feedback to a user nor a way
to query what the exact nature of the problem is while its happening.
  if tracker doesn't do a better job of problem feedback, it's not
going to taste better.

-jef