make ~/.face world-readable (low-hanging-fruit) (Was Re: livecd hacking)

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 16:10:02 UTC 2007

Hi,

One thing we probably want on the desktop live cd, compared to mainline
Fedora, is making sure that the user's home directory are
world-executable, e.g. like this

 $ ls -l /home/
 drwx--x--x 21 bateman bateman 4096 2007-08-12 19:01 bateman
 drwx--x--x 22 bundy   bundy   4096 2007-07-28 19:01 bundy
 drwx--x--x 21 charles charles 4096 2007-07-28 18:24 charles
 drwx--x--x 42 davidz  davidz  4096 2007-08-13 10:39 davidz

With this, the ~/.face files should be readable by other users meaning
that the fast-user-switch applet in a given session can read ~/.face
from other users (this is because the "About Me" capplet specifically
uses the rw-r--r-- permissions when creating that file). Which means
you'll get a nice list with the appropriate icons

 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/f-u-s-all-faces.png

Changing the mode on newly created home directories can, I believe, be
achieved by rewriting /etc/login.defs such that UMASK is set to 066
instead of 077 (I haven't tested this though). Probably worth adding
some sed invocation in the %post of the live cd kickstart file. Jeremy,
Colin?

Btw, in the same vein, we probably want ~/Public to be created with mode
rwxr-xr-x as well; I believe that requires a patch to xdg-user-dirs such
that the mode can be specified in /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults. Longer
term we should probably make ~/Public of other users visible somewhere
and integrate it into the file manager or whatever. Alex?

    David