low-hanging fruit

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 21:07:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 17:52 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 17:42 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> > dragoran wrote:
> > >     - no lvm/raid in livecd installer
> > >
> > > thats the only point where I disagree I don't see a reason  to do this.
> > > what do we gain by doing this?
> >
> > Ask not what we gain but what we lose: confused users, and one less
> > screen in the install since most people just click right through it.
>
> ... except that unless they explicitly click on something, there isn't
> any screen for them to click on and be confused by.  And hell, before
> they get there, they have to have clicked to do a custom partition
> layout.

... and the user goes "What's a custom partition layout?" and clicks the
button because he finds it "cool" and "interesting". Really,
partitioning needs to be as simple as this slider based thing

    | HOW MUCH FEDORA CAN YOU HANDLE?               |
    |                                               |
    | Disk: [Internal FUJITSU MHV2120B SATA Disk|V] |  <-- hide this
    |                                               |      combobox if
    |                        ^                      |      there is only
    |  + Fedora              |  Other OS's +        |      one disk
    |                        V                      |
    |                                               |
    |  [ ] Use entire disk for Fedora               |
    |                                               |
    |                               [Cancel] [Next] |

No questions about boot loaders (just always add all the other OS'es to
grub.conf). No mention of RAID or LVM (this doesn't mean we can't use
LVM for what we install to (though I'm always annoyed by this as a
developer); I just don't want to see the question asked in the UI).

What I like really to see is anaconda having the ability to do headless
installs and we can simply write a nice and simple GTK+. The kickstart
file would include directives such as

 "use disk /dev/sda; resize all other OS's so what we install
  takes up 40% of the disk".

We'd bother the user with other types of questions (like the ones in
firstboot + more including face/background choice) while we actually do
the install.

Jeremy, any chance we can change anaconda such that we can slap a
simpler UI, decoupled from the actual mechanism, on top of it? Thanks.

      David