PA by default

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 21:53:54 UTC 2007

Heya,

Before Fedora 8, is there a plan to fix a few regressions or integration
issue with PA?

From:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-August/msg01196.html

> You also have to make sure that some GConf keys are set up properly:
>
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc -> pulsesrc
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)
>   /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink -> pulsesink (or autoaudiosink)

This means that the "Devices" part of the Sound Preferences in GNOME is
pretty useless. I guess there's a PA specific way of changing the
default input and output, but you lose integration with the desktop.

This will also probably break the device selection that the volume
applet uses (it uses the same as the default sound events device, iirc).

I'm also thinking of applications' volume setup. At least Totem and
Rhythmbox have the concept of "system volume" (which is per device, and
they don't touch), and the "application volume" (which they do). Here,
we're adding the "PA volume".

How do we plan on handling that?

Cheers