low-hanging fruit

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 12:44:23 UTC 2007

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 02:30:17 +0100
> Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe Lennart can fix it too? :)
> >
> > Here's an old entry in my bookmarks:
> > http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/fieryfilter/
> > http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/fieryfilter/fieryfilter.png
> >
> > This probably needs UI love, and use of D-Bus instead of Unix sockets
> > for the admin rights, but the idea is there.
>
> Actually I find these questions to be a net lose.  Just like the ssl
> cert questions in browsers.  They're scray questions in languages the
> user either doesn't understand or just plain doesn't care about.  (and
> no, I don't have a better suggestion to solve the problem)

I was mostly talking about the infrastructure that this provides. and I
mentioned the UI needs love. It would allow us to do something like
that:
http://www.wap.org/journal/security3/firewall.jpg

Or better, allow HTTP on a specific port when personal sharing is on,
etc. Without the infrastructure, we end up with full firewall logs, and
no user feedback.