Defining the target audience (Was Re: low-hanging fruit)

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 15:56:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 11:33 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 11:21 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > So while that target audience may be OK for mainline Fedora where
> > administrators are installing servers and workstations in enterprises /
> > whatever and know what they're doing, I don't think it's fine for what
> > we're talking about here: A derivative of Fedora intended for human
> > beings using ths OS on laptops / home desktop systems. Please don't
> > throw techno babble at them.
>
> Human beings don't compile kernels either, so ... :-)

The real point I was tried to make was about the target audience: if we
want to make a difference with this new derived distribution we need to
have a target audience and optimize the experience for this audience
instead of the rather direction-less "catch-all-audiences" thing we've
been doing with Fedora so far.

I've already given my $0.02 about what that target audience could be:
people who are not computer experts. That's just my suggestion, I expect
others have other ideas and we should discuss on this list and converge
on something and write it into the charter for the SIG. It's important.

So we need to define the target audience. And it's not necessarily bad,
people shouldn't be all "Oh, screw you desktop guys, I'm not part of the
target audience, I'll never use this thing"; I mean, even hard core
people like yourself, davej or notting still have laptops where this is
only a single OS installed and you'll probably never need any LVM or
RAID features.

So at the same time we should be inclusive to other audiences, e.g. just
because we're optimizing parts of the OS for people like my someones
mom, it does not mean that it's not suitable for certain applications by
e.g. hard core developers.

     David