Defining the target audience (Was Re: low-hanging fruit)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 18:27:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 11:56:56AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

 > want to make a difference with this new derived distribution we need to
 > have a target audience and optimize the experience for this audience
 > instead of the rather direction-less "catch-all-audiences" thing we've
 > been doing with Fedora so far.

The problem I see with defining _a_ target audience is that it by
nature, precludes other audiences.  We have to have at least some
part of the 'catch all audiences' thing going on, or we lose a segment
of our userbase to other distros which cater to their needs.

 > So we need to define the target audience. And it's not necessarily bad,
 > people shouldn't be all "Oh, screw you desktop guys, I'm not part of the
 > target audience, I'll never use this thing"; I mean, even hard core
 > people like yourself, davej or notting still have laptops where this is
 > only a single OS installed and you'll probably never need any LVM or
 > RAID features.

You've not seen my two disk RAID0 laptop ? :-) [yes, I'm serious]

FWIW, it always bothered me that we use LVM everywhere.
In hindsight I think it was a mistake.
I can see why it would make ongoing maintainence of the installer
simpler, but for a lot of cases, it's utterly needless.
As wonderful as I'm sure resizing volumes is, I've *never* used it. Ever.
Yet near every install I do uses lvm, for no damn reason at all
(other than I'm too lazy to click 'custom partitioning')

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk