low-hanging fruit

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Sat Aug 18 15:22:40 UTC 2007

On 8/16/07, Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> fine, adding sudo by default doesn't seem like very good idea for me,
> especially after my experiences with *buntu systems where the whole
> */sbin paths are visible to the regular users,

But what is a "regular" user?  If you have the Vista/OSX desktop spin,
"regular users" won't ever open a terminal (or really, any application other
than a web browser), and so the default path is completely irrelevant.

But as a developer, when I open a terminal I want ifconfig, damn it.

and though many of those
> commands need proper authentication to do their job, there are quite a
> few which can run with regular UIDs.  I've always thought that the
> presence of a proper 'root' account in Fedora and Red Hat was way better
> than having one "disabled".

It's unclear to me how the root account being enabled or not relates to the
path.

Anyways, I couldn't care less about whether or not you can log in as
"root".  What is important is to kill password prompts, *especially* prompts
for two passwords.  If we killed the prompt for the updater we'd be 90%
there since that's the only thing that regularly prompts (or used to) in day
to day use.

This forum thread fixed it for me:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-139634.html

Let's just do it.