low-hanging fruit

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 21 17:48:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 12:06 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> A couple of things
>
>  - AFAIK there's plenty of UI package management tools besides pirut
>    in the FPC and that's fine. Diversity, all that stuff.
>
>  - When you say "should be fedora" [sic] do you mean "PackageKit should
>    not be in Fedora Package Collection or "default in mainline Fedora"?

>    I believe it's the latter thought I can't tell cuz you're being
>    ambiguous. Please avoid doing that, thanks.

This might be a tonal issue - but you sound like a jerk when you say
things like the above. You come off as fairly arrogant and unnecessarily
sarcastic. It's off-putting.

What I meant is given the set of features PackageKit wants to have I do
not think it is a good idea and will probably be confusing if both it
and Pirut are included by default in a fedora install.

>  - Note that "default in mainline Fedora" doesn't preclude the desktop
>    spin from using PackageKit instead of Pirut.

That's correct. Though I'd hope a compelling case would be made before
complicating things in this way.

>    If you think about it, that's kinda of the _point_ of the desktop
>    spin; to change the defaults from mainline Fedora to optimize the
>    experience for a narrow set of people.

Correct. Provided we don't end up sucking those things in for everyone.

>  - No-one says that PackageKit is ready for inclusion at all, all
>    people, like me, say is that it's looking promising in terms
>    of dealing with things that other projects, like Pirut, just choose
>    to regard as non-issues / ignore.

good. glad to hear that. I think PackageKit is chasing us part way down
a blind alley, but that's one of the options available to fedora. My
saying 'I think this is a blind alley' is an option available to me.

-sv