low-hanging fruit

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 11:39:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:24:53 +0100
Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as I understood from Richard's blog your comparison here is
> very superficial. For instance, if you do that on an xterm and then
> for some reason your X crashes, or you log out because you forgot
> about it, yum will crash too, and leave you RPM db hosed. PackageKit
> is supposed to continue working even without anyone logged in. It
> allows a "fire and forget" asynchronous action. Besides, it should
> allow integration with the preferred applications metric from the
> online-desktop so people can have a simple way to choose a new app to
> install without having to understand all the package names etc. I
> don't think any of the standard yum tools allows this.
>
> More generally, I think that all these new *Kit daemons as well as
> HAL, NM, and D-Bus, that enables them all, are urgently needed for a
> much more organic and dynamic desktop experience which has humans
> controlling their computer and not the other way around. Kudos to
> everyone working on them!

While Seth's post was very simple, it does highlight the basic problem
that many of us have with PackageKit as a whole.  All the other things
it's trying to achieve are neat, but the fact that what it
allows is what Seth wrote is what gives many of us the hives.

But then again many of us are used to thinking about things in a vastly
different (well may be not /that/ vastly) way.

--
Jesse Keating