low-hanging fruit

Brian Tate btatehome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 15:03:04 UTC 2007

Hello,

    I imagine all the talk about this new "spin" is an official spin?
I've heard it referred to as a "windows xp/mac os x" style spin. This
kind of phrasing doesn't live well in my ears. I left those proprietary
blobs to get away from the over-rated usability of these OSes.
    Is it a good goal for the Fedora project to really adopt a policy to
make "Desktop" spin that doesn't introduce the user to tried-and-true
security practices like the root account? (thats just one example I've
seen listed in this thread) Sure it may make it more easily-adoptable
perhaps then slightly more user adoption, but for completely the wrong
reasons. Also, I would think it'd be bad if a user downloads the
"Desktop" version of Fedora and then decides to try the "Fedora" spin of
Fedora and has a completely different user experience. If people want to
spend time on a more "user-friendly" spin, I guess more power to them,
but certainly a "let's follow windows/mac" mentality shouldn't be the
mission statement.

    Maybe I don't understand the "Desktop"-distro market, I've always
considered my computer more of a workstation.

-Brian